Art and Earth Trail
The Chinworth Bridge Trail is included in the Lakes Section of the ART and EARTH Trail. The Chinworth Bridge Trail is approximately 1.9 miles long and connects the City-County Athletic Complex to the west side of Warsaw. The trail begins at the trailhead located on Old US 30 and offers parking, a picnic shelter, and a conoe launch. this section of Trail consists of an 8' and 10' wide asphalt trail and incorporates two historical bridges as part of thee trail. The Chinworth Bridge Trail focuses on the history of the bridges and the trailhead park. This trail is part of the Greenway in Warsaw, Indiana.
The Chinworth Bridge was built in 1897 by the Belefontaine Bridge and Iron Company of Ohio. It is a single-span, 140-foot iron bridge, which is the last remaining Pratt through truss bridge in the county. In 1924, US Highway 30 bypassed the bridge and the dajacent land was established as the Tippecanoe Rest Park. The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1975. The Kosciusko County Historical Society purchased the park. The Chinworth Bridge was then leased by the Kosciusko County Commissioners to the Kosciusko County Historical Society. In 1997, the Chinworth Bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places just prior to its 100th birthday.
The Groininger Bridge was constructed by the Elkhart Bridge & Iron Company in approximately 1945. Orginally located somewhere in Kosciusko County and purchased from the county at auction in the late 1950's or early 1960's. The dilapidated bridge was rehabilitated and re-erected over the Maish Ditch in 2004.